Family Sponsorship

Sponsor Your Relatives


You can sponsor your relatives to live, study and work in Canada if they become permanent residents of Canada. You can sponsor certain relatives to come to Canada if you’re at least 18 years old and:

  • A Canadian citizen or
  • A person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or
  • Permanent resident of Canada

Sponsor your Spouse, Partner of Children:

There has been a change to the conditional permanent residence, as your permanent residence is no longer dependent on you living with your sponsor, for two years. As against the former rule which states that you had to live with your sponsor for two years if, at the time you applied your relationship was less than two years, and you had no children in common.

Below this category, a qualified citizen of Canada can sponsor their spouse; either common-law partner or conjugal partner or their dependent child. To qualify for a permanent residency permit, the applicant must not be inadmissible to Canada as at the time of application.

A spouse, common-law partner, or a conjugal partner is sponsored if they are a minimum 18 years old above and the relationship is genuine. Under any conditions, if it is discovered that the relationship is not honest, but created for the permanent residency, the application may be declined.

If you’re sponsoring your spouse, both of you must live together in Canada. Also, they also may be qualified for an open work permit to allow them to work in Canada.

Sponsoring a dependent child

It was indicated that as of October 24, 2017, a dependent child must be under the age of 22, according to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada.

The definition retains the requirement for a dependent child to be unmarried and not in a common-law relationship and for overage children with a physical or mental condition to have been continually unable to support themselves since before turning 22 financially.

The dependent child must:

  • Be under the age of 22 and not a spouse or common-law partner; or
  • Have depended substantially on the financial support of a parent since before the age of 22 and unable to provide for themselves due to a medical condition.

A complete application must be filed for each dependent child.

Here is IRCC’s complete guide for sponsors and applicants for permanent residence – spouses, partners, children.


Sponsor your parents and grandparents:

Aside from the necessary prerequisite for you to sponsor your parents or grandparents to come and live with you in Canada as a permanent resident, you must be able to show that you will be backing them up financially when they arrive in Canada. Also being able to cater to your essential amenities as well. You also need to consider they won’t need any form of assistance whatsoever from the Canadian government when they arrive in Country.

To sponsor your relative, you need to submit an online application. The IRCC accepts submissions, reviews them, checks for duplicates and then randomly select a specific number of applications with an invitation to apply (ITA).

Sponsor your relatives

You may be eligible to sponsor some of your relatives to Canada who are not your parents or grandparents.

An Orphan close relative: You may sponsor an orphaned close relative who is under the age of 18 and unmarried. They need to be associated to you by blood or adoption. It could be your siblings, nephews, nieces or even grandchildren.

Other relatives: You can sponsor one relative that belongs to any age who is blood-related or adopted. Under the condition that you don’t have a living relative, you could sponsor a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, son or daughter, parent, grandparent, sibling, uncle or aunt and nephew or niece. It is important to note that these relatives should not already be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.

To sponsor a relative to become a permanent resident of Canada, you must meet specific income guidelines and should be able to financially back them up starting from the time they become a Canadian resident until the age of 20. The sponsoring person also has a responsibility to make an effort to support themselves.