Visitor Visa

Typically, a citizen of any foreign country who wishes to travel or transit through a Canadian airport must first obtain a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA). Visitor visas are typically nonimmigrant visas for persons who want to enter Canada temporarily for business, for study, for tourism, or for a combination of both purposes.

To create a seamless transit to other countries through Canadian airports, a new entry prerequisite, eTA was established on August 1, 2015, for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air.  You may need an eTA before you board your flight to Canada, even if you are transiting through the country. However, exceptions include American citizens and visitors with a valid Canadian visa.

eTA allows the Canadian administration to tailor screening necessities in light of the dangers based poised by making it less demanding and quicker for low-risk free travellers to come to Canada. Before now, visa-exempt foreigner pursuing entry to Canada is not thoroughly screened for admissibility until they arrive at a Canadian port of entry.

It is vital to note that you do not need a combination of eTA and TRV. An eTA is only a requirement for visa-exempt travellers. Nationals from countries that are not currently visa-exempt country but wish to enter Canada must apply for and be granted a TRV. The TRV is issued outside Canada by a Canadian Immigration Visa, showing that the holder has satisfied the prerequisite for admission to Canada as a visitor.

A visa-exempt foreigner willing to obtain an eTA to travel to Canada must pay a processing fee of 7 Canadian Dollars and be granted, is valid for a duration of five years from the day on which it is issued to the applicant; the day on which the applicant’s passport or the day on which the electronic travel authorization is cancelled, or the day on which a new electronic travel authorization is issued to the applicant.

Also, all travellers from eTA-required countries, regardless of their age, need an eTA when they want to fly to Canada.